Sunday, May 6, 2012

Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars (week 1, dessert)

This dessert was something new I tried during week 1 (of a new-dish-a-week), in addition to the Potato Au Gratin recipe.  I found it online and tried it when the kids had some friends over. I also had the in-laws try it. The result was very rich, and I have some changes to the original recipe.  Not sure I'd make it again.  There are other similar desserts that I enjoy much more.  The texture wasn't the best (for what I tend to like). However if you like a done (crunchy) cookie layer with a caramely topping, this is right up your alley.

Ingredients:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 bag of toffee bits
2  1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 cup pecans (optional)
shredded coconut (optional)

Mix flour and brown sugar in a bowl.  Grate cold or slightly frozen butter into flour mixture and work in with your hands until crumbly.  Add 3/4 bag of chocolate chips (reserve 1/2 cup for later step), and 1/2 cup pecans.  Remove 1 1/2 cups of dough, set aside.  Press remaining dough into prepared 9x13 dish. Bake at 350 about 10 min.




Remove from oven; pour sweetened condensed milk over top, to coat evenly (may need to spread with spatula).  Sprinkle toffee chips and rest of pecans.  Sprinkle rest of dough crumbles on top.  Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips on top (and coconut, if using).

Bake another 25 min.  Allow to cool 15 min before cutting.  Can refrigerate and serve cold.



Review:  I felt it needed nuts added (weren't in the recipe I found), and, if you like a little coconut, this would be the perfect dessert for it.  I found the crust (first layer of dough) to be a bit dry.  I tend to like my choc. chop desserts on the gooey side.  The condensed milk turns into a caramel, almost and is tasty, but also adds a deep richness to it - you'll want to serve this in small pieces.

2 comments:

  1. To read such a good article is can learn many things, thank you very much for writing so hard, by the way have a look at our goods. 1980 county exempt california license plate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and include approximately all important info's. Blue meanie mushrooms

    ReplyDelete